Support Group Forming
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) has held a few different Grief Support Groups in the past. All have been very well received. So, we are planning on starting another one. It will begin on January 13, 2014 and last through March 24, 2014. (Group will not meet on January 20, 2014 due to the MLK holiday.) There will be weekly meetings, during lunchtime, noon-1:00p.m. in the EAP suite. Space is limited, so call or mail us to register for the group as soon as you can. Also, feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Wanda Binns, EAP Manager, will be facilitating the group. You can reach her at 410.328.5860, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Employee Assistance Program would like to congratulate the Baltimore Ravens on winning the AFC championship game. We wish you continued luck in the upcoming Super Bowl in New Orleans.
How to Maintain Brain Health
As we age, we need to exercise our brains in various ways to keep them sharp. Some ways to do that are:
- Exercise -especially aerobic exercise such as running, walking, playing basketball, dancing, hiking, swimming, and tennis.
- Eat right-vegetables, fruits, protein and be sure to drink enough water. Stay away from anything white-sugar, white rice, white potatoes. Remember, the darker the color, the more nutrients in the fruit or vegetable. For instance, eat more blueberries and dark green leafy vegetables.
- Challenge your brain to work in novel ways-take a different route to work, learn something new on the computer, learn a new language (no matter how long it takes you!) start a new hobby or craft, take a class, use your non-dominant hand to brush your teeth, learn how to play a musical instrument, etc.
- Explore new places or cultures; try different food and possibly learn how to make it.
- Surround yourself with stimulating people and situations, go to museums, concerts, sporting events, etc.
Caregivers Support Group
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) began a Caregivers Support Group two weeks ago for people who are caring for elderly friends or relatives or for disabled children. The group began meeting February 1, 2013 noon-1:00. The participants had a lot to share! Come and join us. We will meet every Friday in the EAP suite. Register for the group by calling 410.328.5860 or by emailing Maureen at email@example.com